South Tipperary Development Company aims to support community groups in a number of ways:
The Social Inclusion and Community Activation Programme supports community groups through:
- Support for estate based initiatives – clean up, community gardens, estate enhancement
- Support to represent their community on local decision making forums.
- Facilitate groups to represent to identify and address issues in their own community
- Encouraging and supporting peer networking
- Training in Leadership, Committee Skills, Community Planning.
The extent of these supports serves to create strong resourceful community groups whose individual and collective capacity is enhanced.
Under the Rural Development Programme, STDC can offer communities advice and guidance on all aspects of community development. It can also provide grant supports to eligible community projects in both the rural and urban areas in South Tipperary. Eligible community projects can include:
- Village and community infrastructure development and enhancement
- Training programmes
- Tourism projects
- Heritage and environmental projects
- Social enterprise development
The current 2007-2013 Rural development Programme is now closed for new applications as all available funding has been committed to projects, however we welcome expressions of interest from community groups for the new Rural Development Programme, which is set to begin in 2015.
The TÚS Programme aims to provide quality short term work placements to people who are on the live register for a period longer than twelve months. South Tipperary Development Company currently has 200 participants placed with community organisations throughout the county, who are undertaking a broad and diverse range of work placements including:
- Energy conservation work in low income homes and community buildings
- Development, regeneration and enhancement of community spaces, gardens, parks, leisure areas, including sport grounds and school grounds where services are not otherwise provided
- Preparation and delivery of meals for older people or those with limited income
- Caretaking, securing, supervising of community buildings and spaces
- Administration, web design, social media, reception, production of newsletters
- Staffing of cultural, tourism and heritage centres
- Services for children in crèches and childcare settings
In general all works and services undertaken or delivered by the community and voluntary sectors for the benefit of the general community or specific sectors can be considered eligible, and participants are mentored by a designated TÚS supervisor. STDC welcomes applications for placements from community groups on an ongoing basis.
Please contact South Tipperary Development Company if you or your community group would like to discuss any of the supports available from STDC.