The aim of the RSS is to provide income support for farmers who are getting certain social welfare payments. In return, those participating in the RSS provide certain services that benefit rural communities.
To qualify a farmer must have an active herd number and must also be in receipt of a Social Welfare Payment for example : Farm Assist, Fish Assist, Jobseekers Allowance, Disability Allowance, One-Parent Family Payment, Widow(ers) Pension, both Contributory and Non-Contributory or be under 66 and a Qualified Adult Dependant of a recipient of the Non-Contributory Old Age Pension.
Should you be deemed eligible to qualify but you yourself do not wish to participate in the RSS, your spouse, child or sibling can take the available place.
STDC has 25 places on the RSS. All are currently filled. These participants provide services to 30 communities within South Tipperary.
What type of work is carried out by those participating in the Scheme?
The type of work carried out by RSS participants includes:
- Maintaining and enhancing various walking routes (that is, waymarked ways, agreed walks) and bog roads.
- Energy conservation work for older people and those at risk of poverty
- Village and countryside enhancement projects
- Social care and care of older people, community care for both pre-school and after-school groups
- Environmental maintenance work – maintenance and care-taking of community and sporting facilities
- Projects relating to not-for-profit cultural and heritage centres
- Community administration or clerical work
- Any other appropriate community based project identified during the course of the scheme
How many hours’ work is involved and how long does the Scheme last?
Participants work 19.5 hours per week. These hours are based on a farmer schedule. This is to ensure participation on the scheme does not affect your farming activities. If you get a place on the Scheme, you will be offered a contract for an initial period that will be from your start date up to the following 31st March. You may be considered for a further term following the initial contract, if you continue to meet all the criteria for the Scheme.
Download Rural Social Scheme Community Group Application Form 2017 – 2018 Download