The RDP (widely known as LEADER) focuses on improving all aspects of social and economic life in rural areas e.g. community, enterprise, heritage, culture, tourism, food, energy, environment etc. LEADER I began in Ireland in 1992 with 17 Local Action Groups selected for what was essentially a pilot programme. The success of that initiative saw the extension of the programme to all areas of the country for the 1995-2000 LEADER II programme. The third programme LEADER + ran from 2002-2006, followed by the Rural Development Programme 2007-2013.
The current LEADER Programme 2014 –2020 aims to improve the quality of life in rural areas and to encourage diversification of economic activity in rural areas. It seeks to bring about positive change helping to support and sustain rural areas for the better through supporting enterprise development and job creation, rural environment, promotion of social inclusion and economic development. The total allocation for County Tipperary for the period of the programme is € 7,562,584.
- Individuals or a group of promoters who have a viable rural enterprise idea
- Rural Businesses looking to expand or diversify, or start a brand new business
- Farm Families looking to diversify into non-agricultural activities to supplement their farm income
- Community Groups promoting community enterprises, local amenity projects or community services
- Voluntary Organisations or special interest groups promoting social, cultural or environmental projects
- Partnerships promoting projects in collaboration with other organisations, including other Local Action Groups
Applicants must complete a two stage application process:
- Expression of Interest Applicants must complete a short expression of interest form (download below) to help determine if their proposal meets the objectives of the Tipperary Local Development Strategy and complies with the overall programme guidelines. (We strongly recommend speaking to one of our development officers prior to completing this stage)
- Application Applicants that are successful at Stage 1 will be invited to submit a full application for funding, including full and detailed costings
The programme will be delivered through a mixture of Rolling Calls (continuous), and Targeted Calls which will be time bound and will focus on project category(s)”.
At the moment, STDC are inviting Expressions of Interest under the following project categories:
• Rural Tourism
• Farm Diversification
• Social Enterprise
• Enterprise (subject to specific criteria)
• Renewable Energy
• Research and Technical Assistance
Promoters should complete this Expression of Interest Form: Expression_of_Interest_STDC_Rolling_Call
Interested parties should contact one of our development officers on 052 7442652 to discuss their project idea.
Note* Tipperary Local Community Development Committee (LCDC), a sub-committee of Tipperary County Council, will manage and oversee the RDP on behalf of the Department of Arts, Heritage and Gaeltacht. The programme will be delivered by the implementation partners, North Tipperary LEADER Partnership (NTLP) and South Tipperary Development Company (STDC), who will deal with all aspects of the programme on the ground, from answering general queries on the programme to facilitating and processing project applications. With respect to Tipperary, the NTLP will service the Municipal Districts of Nenagh and Thurles/Templemore in the context of its role as implementation partner. STDC will service the Borough District of Clonmel and the Municipal Districts of Tipperary/Cashel and Carrick on Suir in the context of its role as implementation partner.
Request a Call Back from one of our Programme Officers:
Rolling Call Expression of Interest Form
Summary Programme Guidelines
Tipperary Local Development Strategy 2014-2020
LEADER Information Evenings Presentation